Many people spend their entire lives planning a wedding, while others take a year, several months, or even a few weeks.
However, others want to do it immediately without all the frills and on the day they propose, but is that even possible? You’d be surprised to know that many states allow it.
Of the 50 states in the US, 31 have no restrictions on granting licenses and marrying the couple on the same day. In those states, there is also no waiting period, so you apply, get it, and get married.
So if you’re considering eloping, it’s not a far-fetched idea or just something that happens in the movies –60% of the states are all in.
Table of Contents
- Which states will let you get married on the same day?
- Which states have you wait for a license but will marry you the same day you receive it?
- Do any of the states require blood testing before granting a marriage license?
- What are the requirements for same-day marriage licenses?
- Can you go to Las Vegas and get married on the same day?
- What is the cost of a marriage license?
- Is it possible to wed via the internet?
- Can you do same-day marriage with no witnesses?
- Do you need an appointment for same-day marriage at a courthouse?
- Where is the most accessible place to get married on the same day?
Which states will let you get married on the same day?
One particular state, Florida, will allow you to get your license and marry on the same day but with one condition. You must have received premarital counseling, otherwise known as marriage preparation class. It places the state in two categories since you’ll have to wait three days for the license if you don’t.
Here are the states that grant you your marriage license immediately and allow you to marry on the same day. None of these states have blood testing requirements, making giving permissions easier.
- West Virginia
- South Dakota
- Rhode Island
- North Carolina
- North Dakota
- New Mexico
- New Hampshire
Which states have you wait for a license but will marry you the same day you receive it?
- Wisconsin – five days for the license
- Washington – three days for the license
- South Carolina – 24 hours for license
- Pennsylvania – three days for the license
- Oregon – three days for the license
- New Jersey – 72 hours for license
- Mississippi – three days for the license
- Minnesota – five days for the license
- Michigan – three days for the license
- Massachusetts – three days for the license
- Florida – three days for a license if you did not attend a marital preparation class
- Alaska – three days for the license
Except for seven states that have no provision for license expiration, all other conditions set expiration dates between 30 days and a year.
Do any of the states require blood testing before granting a marriage license?
The short answer is yes. Two states and the District of Columbia require blood testing before issuing a marriage license.
For Washington DC, the requirement is across the board. However, in New York, only African Americans and Hispanic citizens are asked to get tested, specifically for sickle cell anemia.
In Montana, only female applicants need blood testing before getting a marriage license.
Reasons for premarital blood tests
Premarital blood tests look for sexually transmitted infections (STIs) or rubella. The tests might even show genetic abnormalities like Tay-Sachs disease and sickle-cell anemia.
It’s essential to keep in mind that state laws are continuously updated, and it’s best to communicate with the clerk of court in the area you plan to get married to avoid any setbacks.
What are the requirements for same-day marriage licenses?
First of all, requirements differ from state to state, but you can go to the probate court under any conditions to obtain a marriage license.
You must be 18 years old or older, or if you’re an emancipated teen, 17 years old and marrying someone not more than four years older.
The requirements vary from state to state. For example, in New York, you do not have to reside there to get married in the state.
However, in Georgia, one party must be a state resident to get a marriage license in any county. If not, you have to register in the county you plan to marry.
A driver’s license and passport are typically required, and sometimes a birth certificate. You might need a witness by law in some jurisdictions and proof of divorce if previously married.
Therefore, be ready to carry along a loved one or long time close friend to assist with the registration process. For states like Florida, take along proof of premarital class if you intend to get married the same day.
Can you go to Las Vegas and get married on the same day?
The Little Vegas Chapel helps tie the knot in Las Vegas simply and without hassle!
You must get a marriage license from a Marriage License Bureau in Nevada to hold a lawful ceremony. To obtain a marriage license in Las Vegas, you must visit only one office.
What is the cost of a marriage license?
Keep in mind that marriage license fees can change without notice.
- In Alabama, every county charges its fee, which you must pay while applying.
- An Alaska marriage license costs $60, and you pay at the time of application.
- An Arizona marriage license costs $76 to apply for, which you pay for when applying.
- For couples getting married in Arkansas, a marriage license costs $60.
- Marriage license fees in California vary from county to county, and you must pay at the time of application.
- The cost for a Colorado Marriage License is $30 and is payable at the time of application.
- If at least one of the registrants is a Delaware resident, the fee for a marriage license is $50. Both applicants must be Delaware residents not to pay the $100 fee.
- The District of Columbia charges $45 in cash. If you present the DC Domestic Partnership Certificate during the application, you only pay $10 for the certificate.
- There is a $93.50 cost and a three-day waiting period for Florida residents; non-residents do not have to wait.
- In Georgia, the amount for a marriage license varies from county to county and must be paid in full when applying.
- With the additional $5 administrative fee, the cost of getting married in Hawaii comes to $60.00. The application fee can be paid online or in-person at a marriage license agency.
- Application for a marriage license in Idaho varies by county and is necessary at submission. Many clerks do not accept checks or credit cards. If you go on a Saturday, some counties will charge you an additional $20.
- Marriage license fees in Illinois vary from county to county and must be paid in full when applying. Please call ahead of time to find out if they require cash
- For Indiana residents, the charge for a marriage license is $18; for out-of-state citizens, it is $60. Depending on the location, some offices also charge a $2 document fee (most counties request cash)
- There is a $35 price for an Iowa marriage license, payable at the time of application (in US dollars)
- There is an $85.50 cash-only price for a Kansas marriage license.
- A marriage license in Kentucky costs $35.50, and you must pay at the time of application.
- Depending on the parish in Louisiana, the amount for a marriage license varies, and you must pay at the time of the application.
- You must pay $40 (forty dollars) for a marriage license in Maine when you apply.
- At the time of application, the amount for a Maryland marriage license varies from county to county
- At the time of submitting the Intention of Marriage application in Massachusetts, there is an application cost that varies from city to city and town to town.
- Michigan residents pay $20 for a marriage license. Non-residents will pay $30.
- There is a $40 cost for premarital education in Minnesota. $115.00 for a wedding without Premarital Education.
- Counties in Mississippi charge different fees for marriage licenses, which you must pay at the time of application.
- Each country in Missouri sets its fees, which you must pay at the time of the application.
- It costs $53 in Montana to get married and obtain a marriage license.
- The charge for a marriage license in Nebraska is $15, and you must pay at the time of the application process.
- The amount for a marriage license in Nevada varies by county, and you pay at the time of application.
- There is a $50 (Fifty Dollars) cost for the issuance of a marriage license in New Hampshire.
- The fee for a marriage license in New Jersey is $28, payable at the time of application.
- Payable at the time of application, the fee for a marriage license in New Mexico is $25.
- It costs $35 to get a marriage license in New York City. An out-of-state applicant will have to pay $40 to obtain a marriage license elsewhere in the state of New York.
- The amount for a North Carolina marriage license is $60, and you must pay in full at the time of application.
- North Dakota’s marriage license fee is $65. Some counties may only accept cash as payment.
- Each county in Ohio has its fees for marriage licenses, payable at the time of application.
- Premarital counseling is an additional $5 off the $50 charge for an Oklahoma marriage license.
- Applicants in Oregon must pay a $60 marriage license cost at the time of application
- The cost of a marriage license in Pennsylvania varies by county. Please get in touch with the Register of Wills in the county where you intend to apply for their fees and other requirements.
- It’s a $24 cost at the time of application for a marriage license in Rhode Island.
- Counties in South Carolina charge a price for marriage licenses, paid in advance.
- When you submit a marriage license to the South Dakota Department of Revenue, you pay a $40 fee.
- Each county in Tennessee has a different fee for a marriage license. Premarital preparation course participants are free from paying $60.00 of this fee if they apply for their license within a year of completing the course.
- Each county in Texas has a different amount for a marriage license, which you pay at the time of application.
- Each county in the state of Utah has its fee for marriage licenses; they collect this amount at the time of application.
- A marriage license in Vermont costs $45, and you must pay at the time of application.
- The amount for a Virginia marriage license is $30, and you must pay at the time of application.
- County fees vary from county to county, and you must pay at the time of application in Washington State.
- Applicants in West Virginia must pay a $56 cost at the time of application for a marriage license.
- Each county in Wisconsin has a different fee for marriage licenses, which you pay at the time of application.
- You must pay a $30 marriage license cost at the time of application in Wyoming.
Is it possible to wed via the internet?
Seeing as the internet is not a location or a legal entity in and of itself, it’s impossible to marry someone online legally. However, the event can occur via the internet.
To get married online, some people may wish to have a pleasant ceremony, which is achievable without a valid union.
Can you do same-day marriage with no witnesses?
To be married at a self-uniting ceremony, sometimes called a self-solemnization, requires that both parties be present at the ceremony.
The couple can perform their legal marriage ceremony, which will get recognition across the United States as valid.
A few states presently allow this, including Wisconsin, Nevada, Maine, Kansas, Illinois, California, Washington DC, and Colorado. Elopement in one of these states is a terrific alternative for couples who desire to do so!
The couple must consult with each state they reside in to determine their specific criteria before attempting to have an officially valid self-solemnized marriage.
Do you need an appointment for same-day marriage at a courthouse?
Most courthouses require appointments to get licenses and get married there. However, in some instances, you can walk in and get it done. It’s best to call ahead in order not to waste your time.
Where is the most accessible place to get married on the same day?
Want to put a rush on it? Many states can accommodate you quickly. However, California and Nevada are two places where you can obtain your marriage license and get married in less than an hour.